Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A night of drama

The evening started out rather normal. Tanner took care of a few things in the garage, I started dinner, and Miles played at my feet with some measuring spoons (how stereotypical is THAT?! Not Miles playing with the spoons, but the other stuff. Wait, I guess a baby playing with measuring spoons is a tad stereotypical too. Great.)

Anyway, we all played and laughed and carried on with life as one big happy family until the last bits of spaghetti were cleaned from our plates. Tanner stood up and rubbed Miles on the back of the head, just as he does every night when he stands up from the dinner table. Miles smiled at daddy just as he does every night when daddy rubs his head while leaving the dinner table. And, as usual, Miles had bits of food tucked between his blonde curly locks. On this particular night, Tanner decided to peel a chunk of something sticky off of Miles' head as he finished the aforementioned head rubbing... What would possess Tanner to do such a thing, especially when it's obvious the kid is going to go directly from his high chair into the bath tub? I don't know. Apparently the big bread/spaghetti/banana goober was ultra sticky and gooberish, because it caused Miles to suffer from excruciating pain. He lost it. Completely lost it. Tanner felt bad. I felt bad. We all felt bad. But...it was pretty funny. He was consoled by the water in his sippy cup, but only for a few seconds at a time. Then he'd revert back to the sad, sad cry. It went something like this...



The bath tub distracted him for a few minutes, and then when Tanner turned the water on to "give him more to splash with", Miles lost it again. Completely lost it. Once again, Tanner felt bad. I felt bad. We all felt bad. But...it was pretty funny. He cried and cried his sad, sad cry while getting his jammies on. I tried coming to the rescue with The Toothbrush (he LOVES playing with his toothbrush), but like the sippy cup, The Toothbrush provided only a few moments worth of peace for the little man.

Something terribly sad was going through that baby's head tonight. I can't imagine the goober-removal or water-running episodes were the true causes of his pain. He normally doesn't react that way...and usually we can get him to switch gears by pretending to cough or sneeze -- or at least by giving him The Toothbrush. Nothing seemed to do the trick tonight, except for some nice warm milk and snuggles before being tucked in to dream land. Hopefully tomorrow is a happier day! If not, I'll be sure to tape it and post a video.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! So much sadness and suffering for one little boy! I hope he dreams happy dreams so the memories of the sticky hair incident fade quickly.

Anonymous said...

Maybe he wouldn't get so much stuff stuck in his hair if he didn't have a mullett? Where is Glen whem you need him?
- Tanner

Anonymous said...

Maybe he's upset about always having to eat in the near-nude! :-0

Poor baby boy. I hope tonight was less difficult for him!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Poor little boy. Sometimes life is rough when you least expect it. He looks like he has the hang of the sippy cup, even with all of the tears. Give him a hug from us. Grandma G