Friday, May 22, 2009

Take a bite out of...Miles?

Today was a big day in Miles' young life. Upon picking him up from daycare, I was given an "Incident Report". This isn't highly unusual; most bumps and scrapes are documented and reported, which is reasonable to expect from a daycare center. The report was tucked in nicely with a painting by Miles titled "It's Raining Me", and a reminder about the daycare's upcoming meat fundraiser (to be discussed in another blog entry).
Here's what it said (with notes from me, the editor, in parentheses):

Date: 5/22

Time: 9:30am

Child's Name: Miles

Dear Anne & Tanner,

Today, your child had an accident/incident (they're supposed to circle one, but neither was circled. Oops.). This is what happened:
  • Bite: self/other ("other" was circled)

Further Details: Miles was putting away toys in the (play) kitchen. A friend walked over and bit him.

This is what we did for first aid and to comfort your child: Cold cloth. Snuggled with teacher.

We really have been waiting for this day to come -- not eagerly, of course, but we knew it was inevitable that Miles would be bitten by a friend. We also wait for the day when he does the biting. Obviously we hope it will never happen, but it's part of toddlerhood and we get it...
I will admit that I kind-of-maybe-sort-of-wanted-to-cry a little bit when I read the note and then looked at him. He's just an innocent pudgy little guy and I love him big time.

Here's the evidence (I know...it's really not that bad):

Maybe Dr. Michelle and Dr. Pat can request dental records for all toddlers in Owatonna and help us determine the culprit. Just kidding. We don't need to know -- it's not like they're 12 year old kids beating each other up on the playground. THEN this mommy would feel it necessary to...ahem...intervene.


Obviously he's fine. All he needed was his headband and a little supper. Life is perfect!

6 comments:

Gma Jill said...

Where can I get one of those headbands? It seems to do the trick for Miles. Hugs and kisses to Miley. I feel bad that he got his first bite. I hope it's the last one.
Love, Gma Jill

auntie beese said...

Poor peanut! That kid really had some chompers! Hannah will have to have a talk with him about how to be a victim of biting without subsequently becoming a biter. She seems to have that one down (of course now that I've said it...uh oh!). Give him some love from us! Love the headband, BTW!

uncle evan said...

Did Miles borrow that headband from Richard Simmons?

My word verification is fawkna, which is probably what you're thinking as you read this!

Jill said...

I was thinking it was more of a Cyndi Lauper thing, but Evan has a point about Richard S.

My word verification is apsan. Sounds like a word Evan could turn inside out and make interesting.

Anonymous said...

Kevin and I were remembering those days of biting at daycare and at home. At daycare, Koleman was bitten and biting, both several times. Eli and Milena each have biting scars on their bellies from each other, but given at different times. Thank goodness, those days don't last too long! If you ever need it I could make models from that bite on Mile's arm. I can then go to the Daycare and match up the dentition to identify The BITER!

Michelle Lund, P.I.

Teresa Saum said...

Ouch. Life is hard sometimes.