(it turns out Tanner enjoys photographing alpacas)
There are all sorts of alpaca farms throughout this great state. Alpacas are part of the camelid family, which includes camels and llamas. They have three stomachs and chew their cud. Their primary defense mechanisms include spitting and kicking (which makes me think Charlie is a member of the camelid family, too).
What sets alpacas apart from camels is their very fine hair (a.k.a. fiber), their smaller size, and tail and ear shapes. Originating in South America, they were first imported to the U.S. in the 1990s for breeding and fiber production. Alpaca fiber can be spun like wool and used for clothing; alpaca fiber doesn't shrink because it is far less scaled than sheep's wool, and is also much softer.
Females give birth to one baby ("cria") after a gestation period between 335-365 days. Ugh. Go mama alpacas!
We had a good time visiting the alpacas this morning.
Even though they are stinky, they are lots of fun to watch!

4 comments:
If we'd known the friendly alpacas were in town, we'd have come over and seen them, too. Their wool makes beautiful, soft sweaters. Miles, you should learn how to weave.
I knew I guy who looked like that top picture. He was bald, though. Don't let those alpaca bite a little guy's fingers.
Wow - I had no idea there were so many alpaca in MN! We had some run-ins with these guys in Peru. They're definitely stinky. Evan also dined on alpaca. Better than guinea pig, but still pretty gross. I hope they weren't giving sample tastes...just sample sweaters!
Check out my awesome word verification: "besseess!"
Don't they have the cutest faces? The alpacas, too, Annie! I love alpacas and llamas. What a fun trip!
Post a Comment