Monday, January 9, 2012

REALLY OLD?

A conversation in Otown tonight --

While cleaning up after supper, Tanner asked me if I'd heard the story about the dorky Papa John's employee who made a not-so-wise move on the job recently. Of course little ears were totally tuned in to our conversation, so I quickly said "Yep." and we moved on. Until Miles asked who Papa John's is, and I explained it's a pizza store. He asked what happened, so (trying to be honest yet not get into the details) I said a customer did not have a good experience at the store. Then our conversation went something like this...

MILES: What's a customer?
MAMA: A customer is a person who shops at a store.
MILES: And you know what? They have these things called registers at stores. And you know what? That's how we buy stuff!
MAMA: Yes! You're right. And you know what? When I was 16 years old, I got to run a cash register at a grocery store!
MILES: Yep! And I did too!
MAMA: No sweetie, you weren't born yet. It was when I was younger. I worked at the grocery store when I was 16, and now I'm 31.
MILES: Yeah! And then you'll be 32, then 33, then 34, then 35, then 36, then 37, then 38, then 39, and then 40. And THEN....(he starts whispering here)...you'll be really old!

I almost sent him straight to bed, but decided he is right. I'm getting pretty old.

2 comments:

Gma Jill said...

You never know where a conversation with a little kid will lead, do you?!

lljone said...

Really cute! He probably can't count high enough for my age!