Saturday, August 4, 2012

Corn Shucking Champ

Did you know that Owatonna is home to the world's greatest corn shucker? We didn't either until today! That gold medal shucker is Miles J. Grimmius.


Tanner brought home a bag of corn (on-the-cob style) from a coworkers whose parents run a farm in the little town of Bricelyn. This was Miles' first corn shucking experience and my goodness, did he ever shuck it! As should be expected from a 4 year old, every last piece of silk was removed from every last cob. (*Note: As should also be expected from a 4 year old, he kept referring to the silk as "hair". Made me gag every time. Ugh...I just did again.)

Where was Weston? Cleaning the freshly shucked corn, of course!



Eventually the shucking turned to silliness....





 The corn was delicious. We have some left over, so stop by if you're hungry.




3 comments:

Mom/Gma Jill said...

Aw shucks, that's some good corn-shucking, Mr. Miles J. Grimmius!

I see that the leftover corn is between the bites that Miles and Westy chewed off their cobs. Grandma Bene was a "hunt and peck" corn eater, just like Miles.

Super pictures! You're lucky to have a shucker and a cleaner who love to shuck and clean corn!

espd said...

What a great series of photos! I'd forgotten how yellow corn can be - the NC variety (at least what we've found) is almost white. Hair... oh man, I'm gagging too!

lljone said...

A really cute sequence! That corn does look delicious! I had some of the lighter yellow NC corn last night (fresh from a farm in Johnston County). It was good, but yours looks better!