Help!
Weston is wearing this mama out. Pretty sure he's driving his daddy bonkers, too. Yes, he's cute and funny and silly and sweet and a total love monkey....but dang, he's also so demanding and loud and spazzy and dramatic and in everybody's business.
Weston Charles Grimmius.
We say that at least 183 times every day in a variety of different tones and volumes -- I've even taken to whispering it in a desperate attempt to get his (quiet) attention for even just 10 seconds of peace. Weston Charles Grimmius. He wants everything that Miles has (and yes we know that it's completely normal and expected from a little brother). But it's ridiculous, really. Bless his sweet heart, Miles often gives in to the little stinker and will share or trade whatever it is he's got that Weston so terribly, terribly needs. Just to get the kid to be quiet.
The other night it was a cup that Miles was using to drink water. Weston decided it was going to become his cup, but this time around Miles wasn't interested in sharing either the cup or the water contained in the cup. And rightfully so (yes, I'm taking his side on this one!). We're trying to teach Weston that it's not okay to just hijack every situation. Sometimes "no" means "no", and he has to respect it. As expected, the "no" resulted in Weston having a colossal tantrum, which resulted in me shutting the windows so the poor neighbors wouldn't have to listen to another round of this monkey business. I even closed the shades and drew the curtains. Srsly, Westy. Eventually things calmed down (miracles do happen), Miles got to keep his own cup of water, and we enjoyed some nice coloring time as a family.
On another recent lovely summer evening, Weston scolded Miles for moving the container of potato salad to a different spot on the table during supper. He wanted the potato salad right next to him in a very specific location. Miles didn't realize this, so after putting some on his plate he slid it toward the middle of the table so that others could have some too (as is the natural thing to do, and fortunately he has picked up on that process). Imagine that! Weston shrieked and it scared Miles. Then it made Miles mad because...as I said before...it really IS ridiculous. Miles started crying and we asked Weston to please apologize. Weston held his hands out (in the "what are you talking about?" way) and said, "But Miles, I'm not a bad guy!" That of course made us laugh, and life took a happier turn. Ugh! Weston Charles Grimmius.
Mom, I know you're going to leave a comment that has something to do with how much Weston takes after me...but that's just not possible. No way! I guess I do feel like I owe Mary & Darrell (and his brother Darrell) an apology for all the screaming they put up with in the early to mid 90s. In hindsight, I admit I was a little over the top. Sorry to you and dad, too. Oh, and Liz and Chuck.
Anyway, Miles enjoyed a wonderful day at the zoo with his buddy Mason last Friday. Mason's mom, Crystal, and I decided to surprise the boys with the trip. Mason has a baby sister and I imagine she's not nearly as cRaZy as Weston is....she better not be, anyway, because she's only 8 months old. Regardless, both boys needed some special time away from younger siblings and with other kinds of wild animals. We picked them up from daycare before lunch and had a fun afternoon! Here's some evidence:
The zoo has a great splash pad for kids to cool off on hot summer days. It was perfect weather - upper 70s and nice big clouds while we were there - and the boys didn't miss a beat! Or a splash, I guess. Ice cream was the preferred treat while drying off. Go figure.
Friday night we were thrilled to have E&O over (their parents too) for a slumber party. The boys woke up early on Saturday morning and ate raspberry pancakes, took out every toy from every closet and basket in the house, rode their bikes, played with balls (of the sports variety, thankyouverymuch), raced remote control cars, played at a park, went on a hike in the woods (and successfully avoided bears), picked out bagels for lunch and ate said bagels, read some books, played with cars, and took a nap. All before 3pm. Miles then ventured off to a birthday party and the Potts boys got all fancied up for Auntie Britt's wedding. This is the only photo I have of their time in Otown. Fortunately it's a good one!
Come back again soon, boys! We need your help wrangling Westy.... :-)
3 comments:
I won't review your developmental history, Annie, other than to say you and Tanner have my sympathy about your frustrations with Westy. Like Westy, you were cute and sweet and delightful between screaming bouts, which is what saved you.
The zoo sounds like it was a great summer adventure for Miles and his friend Mason, and fun for their mommies, too.
You packed in a lot of cousin activities last weekend, too. I love the Vine videos of various remote control vehicles, too!
PS
I used the word "too" too much. Sorry.
Annie, you weren't a problem at age 2, only later. Many 2-year olds go through bossy and angry times. It will get better soon, you just have to be firm or he'll become the Stalin of the house. Only Charlie and Elisabeth were perfect children (;-)).
Don't get overwhelmed by the little toot.
Post a Comment