Friday, December 20, 2013

Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree

I have no evidence to show that we are literally rockin' around the Christmas tree, but I can guarantee you that it's the song most frequently sung in our house these days.  If it's not being sung out loud, then it's being sung in someone's head.  Or all of our heads.  All the time.  Thanks to Weston Charles!  He rehearsed the song for weeks with his preschool friends and had a smashing performance at their recent Christmas concert. And once you start singin' it, you just can't stop!

This Christmas is a bit out of the ordinary for our little family of four as we prepare to move to a new house across town.  We put the tree up but didn't add any decorations, so Miles decided he'd just make some. When he's in the mood, he'll get out the markers, paper, and scissors and create a new masterpiece.  Several of them are attached to the tree with duct tape.  This could get interesting.

We have other Christmas decorations out, including some of the 872 snowmen from my collection (okay, I don't have 872, but it is a rather large herd of snowpeople) but they are shadowed by stacks of boxes full of things we've carefully packed away we need to carefully repack for the move. Lots of work to be done in the next two weeks!  The boys have been (mostly) helpful, and Weston has thrown only a couple of tantrums over things he wants that are already sealed up in a box for his new bedroom.  In particular, his battery powered chainsaw and the farting Santa.  Need I say more?!

This is the last full weekend in our current home and it's bittersweet.  I'll elaborate on that later.  For now, some festive pictures!
We kicked off December with a wonderful trip to Green Bay, where we visited Great Grandma Lucille -- 


 and four lucky adults got to go to the Packers game.  Yes, it was cold.  Yes, it was awesome.


Next up was a great concert put on by Kids Korner.  Weston knew his songs well and surprised us by willingly participating in the show.  We were sitting in the balcony of the theater and could hear him perfectly!

(He's in the middle row, fifth one in from the right. Just squint really hard and you'll see him.)

Miles' class told the story about the birth of Jesus.  Although the donkey and wise men costumes were pretty neat, I think Miles was fine with having a speaking role.  I can't describe how proud of him we were (and still are!) for the hard work he put into practicing his line, and for the confidence he showed during their performance.  He was fabulous!  And so were his friends!


(I think we need to get him a pair of non-sneaker style casual shoes.  You think so?!)

Here's the full cast of characters from the event.  They led the audience in singing We Wish You a Merry Christmas.  I might have cried a little...or a lot.


Then it was on to making gingerbread houses.  As you can see, the kindergartners had plenty of candy for the occasion.  Enough leftover to do a little landscaping!


On the home front, we've been busy making messes in the kitchen.  Last night we cut out about 7 dozen cookies....


And tonight, we decorated all but 9 of them. Actually, 10 -- I ate one when the boys weren't looking.  What happened to the last nine, you ask?  The boys simply ran out of steam.  It was time to lick the frosting off their little plastic knives and call it a night.  I don't blame them!  



After clearing the aluminum foil off the table (I went a bit overboard) and sweeping up sprinkles, we ventured up the road about 10 miles to take in the magic of this little display of lights.  We might go back again tomorrow.  Probably Sunday night, too.  It's worth the short drive, even with two little brothers trapped in their car seats relentlessly pestering each other.  Amazing how quiet the car gets as soon as we get there.

 
Merry, merry Christmas!

3 comments:

Jill said...

Annie, the tree and star in the snow landscape are breathtaking. Is that for real?

You have a lot of patience to open a cookie decorating shop while you're also getting ready to move. I hope when you, Elisabeth, and Charlie were kids I let you frost cookies and have that kind of fun, too. Pretty sweet.

I always look forward to pictures of M and W with Great Grandma Lucille and Great Grandma Helen. They are lucky boys to know their GG's so well.

See you all soon for Cousin Christmas 2013!

Gppy said...

Annie, this is a sweet blog post. Thank you. The boys are having a lot of fun together and are making a lot of great cookies to share with grandparents (hint). The picture of the star and tree are amazing. You'll have to remember to tell me where that place is.

lljone said...

A delightful Christmastime post! It looks like everyone is having fun! I love the pictures of the Kids' Corner program and the beautiful"crystal" tree and star.
I'm looking forward to more posts abut your Christmas adventures and also your new house.
Merry Christmas to all!
Love,
Cousin Linda