Tanner I sent the boys to St. Peter on Saturday so that we comb the Twin Cities looking for just the right bunk bed set. After our hopes were quickly dashed (but bellies full from Swedish meatballs...) at IKEA, we checked out a few other home furniture places and were feeling discouraged. Nothing a little Google magic could fix! I plugged "kids bunk beds Bloomington MN" into the google and voila -- up popped Totally Kids Furniture and Toys. Turns out it's an old warehouse packed full of kids bedroom furniture. Their specialty? Bunk beds! Our purchase was made within 15 minutes. It was love at first bunk. Well, we did see a triple decker bunk bed that was pretty awesome....so I guess the one we bought was technically love at second bunk. Still love, though.
The boys returned home on Sunday and brought a construction crew with them. Thanks again Uncle Will and Grandpa Dave! We appreciate your handy work. And thanks again Grandma Doreen for helping keep the boys (young and old) under control!
First job: taking apart Weston's crib. Say it ain't so! Ugh. My baby is growing up.
Second job: laying out the pieces.
Third job: putting the pieces together. Sorry - no pictures. The camera lady ran to Target during this phase.
Fouth job: Assembling the new dressers.
Sixth job: Playing on new beds!
Seventh job: Sleeping in new beds!
They did well! Miles has never been one to get out of bed at night. If he needs something he just calls out to us. As a 5 year old, he still yells, "Mom! I'm awake! Can we get up and play?" in the mornings. Weston on the other hand...although he never once tried climbing out of his crib, I still peg him as the kind of kid who would climb in and out of bed 186 times in an hour if given the opportunity. He surprised us last night and stayed in bed from start to finish! Of course Miles did climb down from the top bunk once to come tell us that Weston needed something (it was in the first 5 minutes of going to bed). I'm pretty sure he only did it because of the ladder on his bed. It is pretty awesome, so I don't totally blame him.
Eighth job: Eating a pre-breakfast snack of chocolate chips in celebration of sleeping so well in the new beds! That's right. We bribed. And it worked.
I don't know what to say about Westy falling asleep without his dooza last night. He hasn't used one for nap at daycare in over 18 months, but at home it has been an absolute necessity for naps and bed time. Or so we thought. He fooled us! Tanner said something to Weston last night about how sleeping in the big boy bunk bed also means no more dooza. I overheard the conversation and laughed out loud. No more doozas? Riiiiiiight. Well....we experienced a miracle in this house. I sure hope things go as well tonight because I'm not sure we want to use up our miracles on doozas.



4 comments:
I'm a bit suprised that ANY of you got any sleep last night! The boys will be "bunk" experts in no time at all, I can just see the forts that will be made and all the games Miles will design (along with a long list of rules to follow). Two "Big Boys" having a blast..! G-Pa Dave
The bunk beds look great-- glad you had a team of experts to help you assemble them! I'm pretty amazed at the "no dooza" rule working out with Westy. Big boy in a big bed!
Cute! I really like the beds. I'm sure the boys will have great fun with them.
We can't wait to come play on the top bunk!
Post a Comment